Coconut Pineapple Cake
Coconut Pineapple Cake Recipe - sweet and delicious coconut cake with light and fluffy whipped pineapple frosting! Perfect Summer dessert! The coconut cake has a tender crumb and melts in your mouth, all thanks to buttermilk which I my favorite to use in cakes.
for the cake:
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp coconut or vanilla extract
for the frosting:
- 1 can 20 oz. crushed pineapple
- 1 box 3.9 oz. box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 tub whipped topping like Cool Whip
- toasted coconut for garnish optional
to make the cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9" x 13" baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and coconut). In another mixing bowl or large measuring cup, mix together buttermilk, oil, eggs and coconut extract.
- The batter should be smooth and thick.
- Place the batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake 28 - 32 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool before frosting.
to make the frosting:
- Drain pineapple from juice, reserving the juice in a small bowl. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together reserved pineapple juice and pudding mix. Whisk until thickened. Add pineapple and stir well. Add whipped topping and fold in gently.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake.
- Chill cake in fridge until ready to serve.