EASY VEGAN MAC AND CHEESE
An easy vegan mac and cheese recipe that does not require vegan cheese, boiled potatoes or cashews.
- 250g uncooked elbow pasta (a little over 2 cups) I used gluten-free brown rice pasta
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 + ½ tbsp white rice flour
- 2 cups milk of choice (preferably on the thicker side like soy, almond, or cashew)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp salt (plus more to taste)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Bring a medium-size pot of water to boil.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Drain water from pasta and set pasta aside.
- Melt the butter in the same pot over medium heat.
- Add the white rice flour and whisk together. Let the flour cook for about 30 seconds or until it becomes a light golden color.
- Add the milk, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and let the sauce thicken, whisking every so often. This might take about 5-8 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add your pasta and stir to coat.
- Adjust seasoning if you desire.