The Best Vegetarian Lasagna You'll Ever Sink Your Teeth Into
This vegetarian lasagna is comfort food at it’s best. Stuffed with herbed ricotta, mushrooms, and kale and topped with delicious melty cheese. It’s the perfect lasagna!
- 1 lb lasagne noodles*
- 28–32 oz marinara sauce
- 12 oz baby spinach*
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 20 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1/3 cup cooking sherry
- 15 oz ricotta
- 1 cup chopped basil
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, optional
- 2 cups shredded Raclette or Fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyère or Pecorino Romano cheese
PREP THE LAYERS:
- Preheat your oven to 325ºF. Cook the noodles according to package directions, drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place the kale in a steamer basket and lower into the water. Cook until wilted but still a bit crunchy, about 1 minute. Remove and drain the kale in a colander.
- Place the spinach in the steamer basket and lower into the water. Cook until wilted, about 30 seconds. Remove and drain.
- Once the greens are cool, squeeze out all the water you can.
- Place the mushrooms in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring every now and then, until they release their juices and the juices have nearly evaporated. Add the cooking sherry, toss, and let cook until the sherry is almost evaporated, and then remove from the heat.
- Mix the ricotta, basil, thyme, and milk together in a medium bowl. Add the crushed red pepper if you want a bit of spice.
MAKE THE LASAGNA:
- Oil a 9×13″ baking dish. Line the bottom with a single layer of lasagna noodles going in the short direction (you’ll have to cut them). Use the back of a spoon to spread about 1/3 of the ricotta mixture across them. Top with about 1/4 of the marinara, using the spoon to spread it out evenly.
- Top the marinara with 1/3 of the kale, spinach, and mushrooms, spreading them out evenly.
- Add another layer of the noodles going the opposite direction (lengthwise) and repeat the layering, then repeat everything again. You should have 3 layers of noodles topped with filling.
- Finish with a final layer of noodles topped with marinara sauce and covered with the two cheeses.
- Cover tightly with foil (if necessary, use toothpicks to make sure the foil doesn’t touch the top) and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and turn on the broiler and cook for 10 minutes, until the top is golden brown in spots and bubbly.
- Cut with a sharp knife and serve immediately.