Cheesy Vegetable Chowder
This cheesy vegetable chowder is a delicious, filling way to pack in the veggies! It's creamy, flavorful and downright delicious.
- 5 tbsp butter, divided
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 c. or a 32 oz. box, low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-3/4 inch cubes
- 1 celery root, peeled and cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 2 medium heads broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 small head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- ¼ tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- pinch paprika and cayenne pepper
- 6 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 c. milk (1%, 2% or whole)
- ½ c. half & half (non-fat, low-fat or regular)
- 2 c. shredded medium or sharp cheddar cheese (8 oz block)
- In a large pot over set over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter. When the butter has melted, add the carrots, celery and onion and saute for 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute for a minute longer. Stir in the chicken broth, potatoes, celery root, thyme, salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes (or until the potatoes are almost tender). Stir in the broccoli and cauliflower, cook for 5-7 minutes longer or until veggies are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook, whisking constantly for about a minute. Slowly pour in the milk, whisking vigorously as you add the milk little by little. Whisk until smooth. Constantly whisk as the mixture comes to a gentle boil. When it begins to thicken add the half & half, then remove from heat and pour into the soup (after the veggies are fully cooked). Stir everything together, then turn the heat off. Gradually add the cheddar, stirring until the soup is nice and smooth.