Creamy Chicken, Spinach and Mushroom Tortellini Soup
A favorite tortellini soup recipe! This is loaded with hearty bits of chicken, cheesy tortellini, fresh nutritious spinach, and flavorful tender mushrooms and a creamy garlic and herb broth. What's not to love? It's the perfect cozy recipe for a chilly day!
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 1 1/3 cups diced carrots (about 3 medium)
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb bonless skinless chicken breasts, pounded evenly to about 1/2-inch thickness
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, sliced into 1 Tbsp pieces
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 9 oz refrigerated three cheese tortellini
- 4 oz fresh spinach (4 cups)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Finely shredded parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots and mushrooms and saute 3 minutes then add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Add in chicken broth, chicken, oregano and thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot with lid and allow to simmer 10 - 15 minutes until chicken is cooked through (it should register 165 degrees in center on an instant read thermometer).
- While chicken is cooking, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, whisking constantly 1 minute.
- While whisking vigorously slowly pour in milk. Season with salt and pepper and bring mixture just to a light boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove cooked chicken from soup and transfer to a cutting board, let rest 5 minutes then cut into pieces.
- Meanwhile, add tortellini to soup in pot, cover pot with lid and allow to boil over medium heat about 7 minutes (or time directed on package) adding in spinach during last 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken, white sauce and cream. Serve warm with parmesan cheese.