GRILLED MARGARITA SHRIMP
Jumbo shrimp are marinated in the flavors found in many Mexican dishes. A splash of tequila is included for the margarita effect, but you can certainly leave it out if you prefer - the dish is great either way!
- 1 lb. raw jumbo shrimp (16 to 20 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1/3 c. olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. minced jalapeno
- 1 T. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. tequila, optional
- thin slices of fresh lime
- chopped cilantro
- wedges of fresh lime
- If using wood skewers (small or large), start soaking them in water.
- Place shrimp in a wide shallow bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl with high sides, combine all ingredients from olive oil through black pepper. Use an immersion blender to completely process until there are no sizable pieces. Or use a food processor or blender. Pour marinade over shrimp and gently stir to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- When ready to thread shrimp onto skewers, drizzle tequila over the shrimp and gently fold to combine. Then thread two shrimp onto each small skewer, with a folded slice of lime in between each shrimp.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Make sure grates are clean, and then oil them well. Set shrimp kebabs on grates and grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or just until shrimp are no longer opaque and have some nice char. Smaller shrimp will take less time. Place kebabs on a platter and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with fresh lime wedges to squeeze over the top.