Hearty Italian Vegetable Beef Soup
Hearty Italian Vegetable Beef Soup is filled with chunks of ground beef, plenty of vegetables, and generous Italian spices. This soup freezes quite well making it perfect for easy lunches.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small yellow onion diced small, about 1 cup
- 10 medium carrots sliced thin, about 4 cups
- 6 stalks celery sliced thin, about 3 cups
- 6 cups water
- 1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 head of green cabbage roughly chopped, about 4 cups
- In the bottom of a large pot, over medium high heat, cook and crumble the ground beef along with the garlic and onion. When the beef has browned, about 8 minutes, add the carrots, celery, and water to the pot. Increase heat to high and add the diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cover with a lid. Once the soup is boiling, stir, and reduce heat to medium; simmer uncovered for about 15-20 minutes, until the carrots are tender.
- Taste the soup and adjust the salt as desired. Stir in the cabbage. Simmer a few more minutes, just until the cabbage has wilted. Top with cheese, if desired, just before serving. Enjoy!