Mexican Street Corn Soup
This Mexican Street Corn Soup has all the flavors you love from Mexican street corn all bundled up into one comfort food soup that is to die for!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno minced
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 6 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream half and half, or milk
- 1 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 lb bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1 jalapeno sliced
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add in the onions and minced jalapeno and sauté for about 5 minutes, then stir in garlic and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour, cumin, and chili powder and cook 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the chicken stock until smooth and bring to a boil. Add in the corn, sugar, and salt. Once it returns to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream and cilantro. Serve topped with crumbled bacon, cotija, and jalapeno slices.