Sesame Butter Kimchi Grilled Cheese
The slightly grown-up version of everyone's favorite childhood sandwich. Spicy kimchi, sharp cheddar cheese, and fresh basil, all sandwiched together between two slices of sesame (garlic) buttered sourdough bread.
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon raw sesame seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons Gochujang (Korean chili paste)
- 4 slices thick cut sourdough bread
- 1 cup kimchi, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Havarti or fontina cheese, shredded
- fresh chives, for serving
- honey, for serving
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter, sesame seeds, and garlic.
- Spread the outside of each slice of bread with sesame garlic butter. On the inside of half of the slices of bread, spread with Gochujang, then evenly layer the cheeses, kimchi, and basil. Add the top piece of bread, buttered side facing up.
- Place the sandwiches, one at a time, in the skillet and cook until golden on each side, about 3-5 minutes per side. Serve topped with chives, honey, and sea salt.