Slow-Cooker Chicken Cheesesteaks
Slow-cooked, seasoned chicken breasts piled high on soft, toasted hoagie rolls with melty cheese and all your favorite toppings.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 + ½ - 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced in half moons
- 2 fire roasted (jarred) red peppers, sliced on the thicker side
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and stems removed, minced, optional
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- hoagie rolls
- butter, for toasting
- american, provolone or sharp cheddar cheese
- refrigerator pickles
- hot sauce
- Add the broth, mustard, Worcestershire, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon coarse salt (or ½ teaspoon fine salt), and about ¼ teaspoon black pepper to a crockpot(I use a 4 quart) set on high and whisk together.
- Season the chicken well with salt and pepper - if they're on the large side cut them in half - and nestle them into the crockpot.
- Add the onions, peppers, and garlic.
- Cook on high 4 hours or low 6 - 8. During the last hour remove the chicken to a cutting board and cut into bite-size pieces or shred with 2 forks. Return back to the pot. If there is a lot of liquid left in the crockpot let it cook with the lid off for a little while to evaporate some of it off.
- Butter the insides of the hoagie rolls and toast in a hot skillet until golden brown.
- Lay your choice of cheese down then top with chicken, some of the onion mixture and pickles, hot sauce too - if you like.