Super Creamy Vegan Cauliflower Kale Soup
Dreamy, super creamy vegan cauliflower soup chock full of vegetables and oh-so-delicious. This is healthy food that doesn't taste like it! This soup gets my kids to eat kale (it's that good). Made creamy with the addition of cashews, but you could leave them out and it would still be quite tasty!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 4 medium carrots, chopped small
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 lb frozen (or fresh) cauliflower florets
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups chopped small kale, tough ribs removed (or baby spinach)
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes
- salt, to taste
- In a large soup pot, saute the chopped onion in a few tablespoons of water or vegetable broth for 3-5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the garlic, carrots, celery and saute a few more minutes. Next add the cauliflower and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the cashews and 1 cup of the soup to a blender. Blend until smooth and add back to soup pot.
- Now, use your immersion blender if you have one and blend a few times, until the soup is creamy but still has some texture. If you prefer, you can blend all the soup in a blender and then add in the greens. I prefer to leave some texture. Add salt, to taste (will depend on the saltiness of your vegetable broth).
- Now add the chopped kale or spinach to the pot and stir well. If using kale, let it simmer for about 10 more minutes, until kale is tender. If using baby spinach, simply let it wilt into the soup. Serve with brown rice if desired or a good loaf of bread and salad.