Monte Cristo Style Breakfast Casserole
A yummy all in one breakfast casserole, this Monte Cristo version features chopped ham and melted Swiss cheese.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half & half, or fuller fat milk
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 6 cups slightly stale, cubed French bread
- 2 cups diced ham
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- powdered sugar optional, for garnish
- raspberry preserves, warmed until stirrable optional, for garnish
- Add the eggs, half and half, mustard, nutmeg, and salt & pepper to a large bowl. Whisk together until the mixture's completely smooth.
- Add the bread, stirring until all of the bread is well coated with egg.
- Stir in the ham and half of the cheese until evenly incorporated.
- Lightly spray an 8x8" baking dish with non stick cooking spray. Pour the egg mixture out into the pan, evenly spreading it out. Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly out over the dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, or until golden brown on top and a butter knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the casserole rest 2 minutes before slicing and plating. If using, sprinkle each slice lightly with sifted powdered sugar. Drizzle with the warm raspberry preserves, and serve immediately.