Zucchini Tomato Casserole
Layers of baked Zucchini and Tomatoes coated with a creamy, cheesy blend and loaded with flavor!
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 average-size zucchinis, sliced (you'll need about 6 to 7 cups of sliced zucchini)
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, divided (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1 cup Italian Blend Shredded Cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up into 1/4-inch slices
- chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Grease a 9-inch baking dish with a little butter. Set aside.
- Prepare the cream cheese mixture by combining cream cheese, milk, basil, and ground nutmeg in a bowl. Set aside.
- Layer half of the zucchini slices on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Add a layer of sliced tomatoes over the zucchini slices.
- Sprinkle with half of the garlic and half of the fresh basil.
- Add a layer of HALF of the cream cheese blend over the tomatoes; sprinkle with half of the shredded Italian cheese.
- Repeat one more layer of zucchini slices; add a bit of salt and pepper.
- Repeat one more layer of tomato slices; add the rest of the garlic and fresh basil.
- Spread a layer of the remaining cream cheese mixture and sprinkle the rest of the shredded Italian cheese.
- Dot with slices of butter.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly, browned, and veggies are tender.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil; cut and serve.