Simple Hot And Sour Soup
This Hot and Sour Soup recipe is sure to have you feeling heartier and healthy. Its broth is infused with great flavour and makes a great pick-me-up if you have been feeling under the weather or you need a much needed energy boost.
- 4 cups of chicken broth (Can use Vegetable broth)
- 1 (8 oz.) can of drained and thin sliced bamboo shoots
- 1 cup cooked chicken, shredded (Home Cooked or Store Bought)
- 1 cup of shiitake mushrooms, thin sliced
- 1 cup of firm tofu, pressed until its drained and chopped into small strips
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten together
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon chilli sauce
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- black or white pepper, to taste
- green onions, finely diced to garnish
- Heat the chicken broth (or vegetable broth) over medium-high heat using a large stock pot. Stirring until fully warmed through.
- Add the chicken slices, shiitake mushrooms, tofu pieces and bamboo shoots, then stir in the ginger, soy soy sauce, red wine vinegar, chilli sauce, brown sugar and white or brown pepper.
- Let mixture simmer for 5 minutes to infuse the flavours.
- In a small glass, whisk together the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons cold water to create a slurry. Once mixture looks smooth, gradually stir this into soup.
- Cook for another 6-8 minutes, or until soup is thickened. Use a spoon or kitchen ladle to see if the soup has thickened.
- Take your lightly beaten eggs and slowly pour them into soup. Stir them gently and cook for approx 30 seconds.
- Ladle soup into bowls ready to serve, and use the green onion sliced, to garnish. You may also add more pepper as to your preference.