HOMEMADE THREE BEAN SALAD
This fresh Homemade Three Bean Salad is so much tastier than the store bought variety. The dressing gives it a sweet, vinegary bite that is irresistibly good.
THREE BEAN SALAD
- 8 to 10 ounces fresh green beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained well
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced (approximately 3/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup finely diced white onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar (if you like a sweeter dressing use 3 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt plus additional to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Set a large pot of water on the stove over high heat. Fill a large bowl about halfway with water and then fill with ice.
- When water comes to a vigorous boil, toss in about 1 tablespoon salt and add the green beans. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes at most, pulling off the heat as soon as the green beans are crisp-tender. Quickly drain beans and transfer to the bowl of ice water. Allow green beans to soak in ice water bath while you prepare the dressing.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a mason jar or other container with a tight-fitting lid. Cover tightly and shake for a good 30 seconds.
- Transfer green beans to a colander and drain well. Cut into 1/2" pieces. Combine all the beans, celery, and onion in a large mixing bowl. Add dressing and toss to combine. Sprinkle salad with parsley and toss again. Transfer to an airtight container with a lid and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight. Turn container a few times during marinating process to make sure all the ingredients get a good soak in the dressing.
- When ready to serve, give it a taste and season with additional salt and pepper if you feel it needs it.